Calcitrol + calcium carbonate + zinc tablets
Calcitriol + calcium carbonate + zinc tablets belong to the class of medicines called multi-minerals used to treat low blood calcium levels. The medicine is indicated for various conditions caused by low blood calcium such as osteoporosis (weak and brittle bones), osteomalacia/rickets (weak bones), hypoparathyroidism (low levels of parathyroid hormone), and latent tetany (a muscle disease with low blood calcium levels). The tablets are generally prescribed to pregnant, nursing, and postmenopausal women to ensure that they are getting enough calcium. Besides, pregnant women, the medicine is also used in the treatment of hyperparathyroidism (overactive parathyroid glands) and metabolic bone disease in people with chronic kidney disease, surgery, or other conditions.
Take the tablets as prescribed by the doctor. Do not chew, crush or break the tablets. Swallow the whole tablet with water in the prescribed dosage and duration. Some people may observe side effects such as constipation or stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, mood changes, weakness, tiredness, fast or pounding heartbeat, bone/muscle pain, and headache. Usually, the side effects are mild to temporary and do not require medical attention. However, if the side effects persist or get severe, seek medical consultation. Store the tablets in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any of the active ingredients to get alternate prescriptions.
The tablets comprise Calcium carbonate (mineral), Calcitriol (Vitamin D3), and Zinc (mineral) useful in treating low blood calcium levels. Calcium is crucial for bone formation and prevents calcium decay. Calcitriol is a form of Vitamin D3 useful in treating calcium deficiency with hypoparathyroidism (the parathyroid glands’ decreased activity) and metabolic bone diseases in people with chronic kidney failure. Zinc is an essential mineral required to stimulate osteoblastic bone formation and mineralization. The medicine can be used in the treatment of:
There are mild to temporary side effects of Calcitriol + calcium carbonate + zinc tablets that resolve over time. The side effects depend on the health condition and response to the therapy. If the side effects persist or get severe with time, immediately consult your doctor. The list of side effects caused by Calcitriol + calcium carbonate + zinc tablets is given below:
Some drugs may interact with another drug and cause unpleasant effects. The drugs can also interact with certain health conditions and food items.
Interaction with Medicines:
Interaction with Food:
Avoid consuming food items that inhibit calcium absorption such as:
Interaction with Disease:
1. Avoid consuming alcohol as it may inhibit calcium absorption.
2. Do not consume the medicine in higher doses during pregnancy without a doctor’s consultation.
3. Lactating should avoid consuming the medicines as it may pass into the breastmilk and affect the fetus.
4. People with liver and kidney disorders should stay cautious of tablets as they are known to affect various liver and kidney disorders.
5. Keep the medicine away from children and pets. Properly dispose of expired and discarded medicine.
6. Store the tablets in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight.
1. Can I take Calcitriol + calcium carbonate + zinc tablets if I suffer from hypercalcemia (high levels of calcium in the blood)?
Calcitriol + calcium carbonate + zinc tablets are used to increase low levels of calcium in the body. Hence it is not advised to use Calcitriol + calcium carbonate + zinc tablets during hypercalcemia.
2. What are the common side effects of Calcitriol + calcium carbonate + zinc tablets?
Some common side effects of Calcitriol + calcium carbonate + zinc tablets are constipation, stomach pain, loss of appetite, fast or pounding heartbeat, and bone, or muscle pain.